Permits & Planning

Conservation Sudbury has a responsibility under the Conservation Authorities Act to ensure development is not at risk from natural hazards and to protect the health and integrity of our watersheds. As part of this mandate, Conservation Sudbury:

If you are planning to do construction work or development in a Regulated Area, you require permission from Conservation Sudbury. To determine if your property falls within a Regulated Area, please use our Regulated Areas Mapping Tool.

Program Fee SchedulePermit Application FormTechnical Resources

Conservation Authorities Act

Under the Conservation Authorities Act, development means:

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind,
  • any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure,
  • increasing the size of a building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure,
  • site grading
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere.

Conservation Sudbury strives to issue permits within the best practice timelines established by Conservation Ontario.  Conservation Sudbury will publish the timelines for permits on an annual basis. The 2022 report is available here.

The CA Act requires that an applicant be provided an opportunity for a hearing by the Conservation Authority Board for an application that is refused or approved with contentious conditions. Click here to read the hearing procedures.